To watch this worship service on YouTube, click here.
We invite you to join us for DisciplesNet Worship #114. This worship begins the second Sunday in Advent, with Rev. Russ Smith's message based upon the fire and soap mentioned in Malachi 3. This is a time in the church year when we think about the people of Israel long ago who looked for the coming of the Messiah. We also light the second advent candle this week, the candle of peace.
Our worship includes a time of communion (breaking of the bread)--for which we extend the invitation given by Jesus Christ to all who would come. If you would like to share with us in this time at the table that passes all boundaries of place, time, and walls, then we ask that you prepare a wafer, cracker, or bread and a drink, and we ask that our blessing will extend to where you are. If you are unable to eat or drink, use a symbolic gesture or mental symbols of joining with us.
We hope you will join us for this short time of worship (32 minutes), and will be blessed by participating. Please tell friends, family, and others you know about our online church that is here with doors that never close, walls as wide as the world, and always room at the table.
If you would like to chat with one of our pastors, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Invitation to Giving:
DisciplesNet is growing and has much in the works! We extend the invitation for you to be part of this ministry by giving an offering, or regular tithe. We are sustained and extending our nets now because of the generous gifts of people around the world. These gifts, like the mustard seed, are already growing in amazing ways.
We have a giving page on our website, disciplesnet.org. Our physical address for donations is:
PO Box 17935
Indianapolis, IN 46217
And emailing address is: email@example.com
God bless you, and thank you for joining us!
ORDER OF WORSHIP:
1. Background music: Wind in the Olive Trees, played by Pam Barksdale
2. Hymn: "O Come, O Come Emmanuel," Chalice Hymnal #119
3. Lighting the Advent Candle: reading, Luke 1:68-79, Dean Phelps
4. One Candle Is Lit," CH #128, v 1 and 2, Rev. Dean Phelps
5. Pastoral Prayer, Rev. Deb Phelps
6. Response: "Emmanuel, Emmanuel," CH #134
7. Scripture: Malachi 3:1-4 (NRSV),
8. Message: "Fire & Soap," Rev. Russ Smith
9. Hymn: "Have Thine Own Way," Lord,"CH #588,
10. Moment of Sharing, Susan McNeely
11.Communion: Revs. Bob Shaw, Blanche Edwards
12. "Eat This Bread," CH #414
13. Benediction, Rev. Russ Smith
14. Background music: "Shalom to you," Now, #436